Sunday, October 7, 2007

Traditioooooooooon! Tradition!

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. And we all know what that means, right? Time to bow our heads and give thanks for all we have. Time to thank the good lord above (if that's your thing) for the food on our table.

Wait. What? There's a dead turkey on the table? We're thankful for this?








(In case you're wondering, this last photo was taken at a "free range" farm.)

Well, we here in the Little Piggy family have decided to start our own Thanksgiving tradition. We have adopted a turkey from Farm Sanctuary. It's only 20 dollars and it provides feed, bedding and vetrinary care for one lucky turkey.

In case you didn't click on the Farm Sanctuary link up there, here are a few snippets from their website to give you an idea of who they are and what they do:

Sorrowfully, animals raised on today's industrialized farms are treated like unfeeling commodities, and their basic needs are completely ignored. They are crowded in factory farm warehouses, and confined so tightly that they cannot walk, turn around or lie down comfortably. Farm animals are de-beaked, de-toed, tail-docked, confined, crowded, neglected and denied the very basics of life: fresh air, wholesome food, room to move and, most importantly, freedom - all for the sake of a profit margin.

Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of industrialized farming and to encourage a new awareness and understanding about "farm animals." At Farm Sanctuary, these animals are our friends, not our food.

It's nearly impossible to describe the exhilaration in the eyes of a rescued animal when he or she steps off a transport truck into an open field of green. After initial tentative steps, the new arrivals run for the very first time, savoring the earth beneath their feet and kicking up their heels with joy.


So I went online and picked out a Turkey from their adoption list and in a couple weeks I'll get an adoption packet with a photo of the bird and an adoption certificate. I'll be sure to post again once I receive the info.

So instead of my money supporting the industry that allows the gore and violence in the above photos it's going to support the turkeys who were saved from that hell. Turkeys like...

Cinnamon:
Comet:
And these little buggers:
Don't they all look so happy and healthy? Now there's something to truly be thankful for.

3 comments:

mmg said...

Are those turkeys eating pie?! That is awesome.

I think I'll be adopting a turkey this year too.

I have to admit, Al, I am a little nervous about a Tofurkey roast this year - my first!!! But I definitely don't want to eat little Comet, so tofurkey it shall be.

Good idea!

m said...

Ok! I just "adopted" Cicada. Which one did you adopt?

Al said...

Ya know, I honestly can't remember the name of the one I adopted. I feel terrible. I'm pretty sure they took him/her off the adoption list after I did it, so I can't go back and check. I remember he/she had gray hair and kinda looked like an old lady.

Oh well, I'll post a photo and the adoption certificate once I get them. We'll find out then.

Oh, and check out this sanctuary in Coloado: Peaceful Prairie

I strongly suggest reading the blog. It's good stuff. I really want to go there the next time I'm in Colorado.

And don't worry too much about the Tofurky. I haven't screwed one up yet. One tip: lots of gravy. And extra stuffing.

I guess that's two tips.