Thursday, December 31, 2009

To the Future!

These Little Piggies Had Tofu has slipped into stagnation. A spurting feed of photos of my adorable, adorable kids.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure you all love my adorable kids. But it's not what I envisioned when I started this blog.

Part of the stagnation is due to the simple fact of having two kids. Part of it is because of the time-suck that is Facebook.

So here are the changes that I'm making. Anna Wednesday and Friday Liam are going to become Anna First Wednesday (to be published on the first Wednesday of each month) and Last Friday Liam (on the last Friday of the month).

This will hopefully prompt me to write more substantive posts and not rely on the twice-weekly photos of my adorable, adorable kids. I want to post more recipes, photos of food, animal rights-based arguments and thoughts, and stories about raising my kids vegan.

My 2010 resolution is to get back to a quality over quantity mindset. This means less overall posts, but more posts of substance.

I'm also, in the near future, going to create a fan page for the blog over on Facebook. All the cool kids are doing it.

I am also open to suggestions for topics. What do you, dear reader, want me to write about? Anything about vegan parenting you've always wanted to know? Is there an argument for or against veganism that you'd like to see addressed? Hit me up. I'm pretty insightful when I want to be.

That is all. Here's hoping you all have a happy 2010!

8 comments:

a_y_s_e said...

I have a question!
My parents and in-laws are sort of absorbing the fact that we're vegetarians, but they aren't cool about their future grandkids raised without meat, mostly b/c they think they won't get enough nutrients. I have sort of proved them with my blood count results that vegetarianism increases HDL, and that we don't have to eat meat to get enough iron.
But I think I need more on vegetarianism and kids...
anyways, happy new year!

Al said...

Raising Vegetarian Children is a great resource.

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Vegetarian-Children-Health-Harmony/dp/0658021559/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3

Its focus is mostly on a vegan diet, but it works for vegetarians, as well. There's a ton of nutritional information in there as well as information and ideas on the social aspect of raising children in vegetarian and vegan households.

I've added a post about nutrition to my Posts To Write in 2010 list. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I like Ayse's question and will try to get the book you suggest, but I'm not quite there as my kid hasn't been born yet.
My question may be more for your wife (although, I'm sure you'd be able to answer it for her!) as I am pregnant and a vegetarian. While I do eat eggs and milk products, I'd like to minimize that as much as possible, but I've been craving things like cheese and yogurt. Do you know anything that I could substitute for those items?
Also, I've been trying to eat as healthy as possible, and never even considered not being vegetarian during my pregnancy, but everyone in our family seems both appalled and impressed that I haven't gone back to eating meat. I just don't miss it. I crave salads and fruit (and fatty french fries!). Do you have any suggestions on what I could tell them to make them understand that I'm eating healthy and not missing out on anything?
I look forward to reading more of your posts! Happy New Year!

a_y_s_e said...

I echo Samantha's concerns on vegetarianism during pregnancy. Again, people are OK with me being a vegetarian, but they think I should eat meat during pregnancy, and have my kids eat meat. Although I have you and couple of other people as examples, I would really want to cut all the noise from outside.

btw, thanks for the reference.

Hase said...

That sounds great, Al!
I'm very much looking forward to continuing to read your blog in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm totally fascinated by the 'vegan parenting' topic - anything related to this topic is of great interest to me, even though I don't have kids myself. I simply think you're doing a great job and love to read your stories!

Happy new year!!

Al said...

I'll write more about this later, but I just wanted to throw this link out there:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/pregnancy.html

And this:

"The American Dietetic Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics agree that well-planned vegan and vegetarian diets can satisfy the nutritional needs and promote normal growth of infants and young children."

-American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition, 1998; Messina & Burke, 1997

And the ADA's official opinion:

“It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes.”

I'm considering putting that last quote on a shirt.

Dana Nesen said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it!! I am 7 weeks pregnant with my first child & a 29 year old vegan. I'm already getting all sorts of criticism from family/friends/dr.'s & look forward to catching up on the last couple years of the blog. Any advice you have would be great!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to find out what your kids love to eat. What kind of vegan snacks do you find great for toddlers? Your kids seem to love their fruits and veggies, which is great. My little girl prefers pasta and bread, but I'm always trying to find new ways to introduce fruits and veggies to her.