Monday, June 21, 2010

What the Hell Do I Do With... Turnips? (And a lot of things to do with Radishes.)

So, Turnips...


Actually, first of all, I'm going to post everyone's ideas on what to do with Radishes from last week. Unfortunately, I ended up eating all of ours raw before getting the chance to try any of these out, and then we didn't get any in our most recent box. Hopefully we'll get some this week (if you were to tell myself 10 years ago that ten years in the future I would want to eat radishes, I would have called you a crazy liar).


Jacqueline did this: "Just very thinly slice them up, toss with a tad of olive oil, lay out a single layer on a baking sheet and bake them at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, watching that they don't burn." I think this is the one I'm going to try first if we get more this week. I love chips of any sort and these sound really good. I'll probably end up adding a bit of salt. 


Achim had this recipe for radish soup: "Mainly the green leaves are used. Peel and dice 2 potatoes and 1/2 onion. Cook for some 20 min in 2 c vegetable broth. Chop radish greens, add it to the soup, blend it in a food processor or something, add 1/2 c soy milk and some salt (if necessary). Let some thin radish slices hover on the soup."


Lisa makes dressing, "with a couple radishes, some, olive oil, agave, garlic, and red pepper flakes whirred up in a blender. Spicy!"


Tara (or Nate?) at Vegan Piggy made a tabbouleh out of The Kind Diet and blogged about it here.


Hase likes them raw.


Mangocheeks (great name, by the way) also enjoys them raw, dipped in salt and chili powder. 


The Voracious Vegan likes them roasted, but also raw and in a salad. I like that idea. Salads don't usually do it for me, so then I have to smother them in dressing in order to get the level of flavor I like. But I could imagine radishes doing that trick, too. 


A couple friends on Facebook also said they love radishes roasted. 


And finally, my friend Heidi on Facebook said to, "Smear them with fresh butter and sprinkle with coarse salt." I'll opt for soy butter, of course, and it sounds delicious. 

Thanks for all the ideas!

And now on to turnips. 

Here's what I did with the turnips we got:


Don't those look delicious? Well, they weren't. They tasted way to turnipy. Yes, turnipy.

I used this recipe online and I don't know, maybe I didn't bake them long enough. They weren't crunchy at all and they didn't taste that great. 

So hit me with it. What the hell do you do with turnips? 

5 comments:

erin said...

What, my suggestion of thinly slicing, sprinkling with salt and serving as a condiment on tacos wasn't good enough? ; )

Turnips... not exactly summer fare, but you could make tatties and 'neeps. Basically cut up turnips the same size as your potatoes and boil them together, then mash as you usually would. You can also chop up some chives or green onions to go with it.

So sad about that roasted turnip recipe... I actually just pulled some roasted turnips out of the oven, just coated in canola oil, topped with salt and pepper, roasted for 20 min in 450* oven, and Tony and I both liked them! We threw the radishes in too, and both were delicious.

Al said...

Ha! It was an honest mistake. I swear. It had to do with you not having a blog that I didn't open in a separate tab and then link to.

Anyway, I just tried amending my post to add your suggestion, but it screwed up the formatting (more than it already is, I mean) and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. So I'm just going to post it again here and beg your forgiveness.

"My friend Michelle introduced me to a revelatory way to enjoy radishes - as a garnish for tacos! Wash them, then shave very thinly (we use a mandoline), sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt, and put them on top of your tacos (or burritos would work well too). Our tacos were grilled portabella with a couple of kinds of salsa and avacado. Awesome!"

Sayward said...

I've only ever done turnips one way - the traditional Scottish 'bashed neeps and tatties', which is basically turnipy mashed potatoes. They were absolutely delicious served with a homemade vegan haggis and whiskey reduction grave. I blogged about it here - http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2009/02/recipe-vegan-haggis-with-bashed-neeps-and-tatties/

The Voracious Vegan said...

Wow! There are some great ideas here, I can't wait to give them a try. Thanks for sharing!

thedalyn said...

Thanks for this. We've gotten radishes for weeks on end in our CSA and I have no idea what to do with them (and they don't last long!). I've used the greens without fail, but most of the actual radishes have ended up in the compost.