Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cat on the Playground

Anna told us about her school day yesterday. The highlight of the day, apparently, was the cat who was hanging around the playground. He was there in the morning and for after-lunch recess.

Anna said that a bunch of kids were circling around and chasing the cat because they wanted to pet him (she said she thought he was a "him"). She chased the kids who were chasing the cat, imploring them to leave him alone.

I asked if they were trying to hurt the cat. She said no.

"So you just wanted them to leave the cat alone because you thought he might be scared?"

"Yes," she said. "He just wants to live his life."

- - -

I wonder sometimes whether or not Anna will choose to be an animal advocate when she grows up. It seems that she's already dabbling in advocating for animals, and I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me happy. But there's a part of me that worries that she might end up caring too much.

I know, I know. That sounds callous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if she cares sooooo much and wants sooooo much to help animals and get others to see how they can also help animals ... well, she's in for a life of disappointment after disappointment ... punctuated by a few instances of joy and hope for the future of humanity.

I've managed to keep my distance. I advocate on behalf of animals in my own way, sure. But I rarely feel as much as many of the advocates I know. There are days when this concerns me and there are days when I see this as a blessing (bestowed upon me by genetics and environment).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for advocating loudly and proudly on behalf of other-than-human animals. I guess I just cringe a bit at the prospect of Anna being sad all the time because her peers don't give two figs about the animals she cares so much about.

Anyway, we'll see how it pans out. One day at a time, right?

4 comments:

mindy said...

What a good kid you have, Al.

And yeah, it will be tough if she is sad because of the way most people view animals. I definitely wish I didn't care QUITE so much....but hopefully she will be able to harness that sadness and energy in a positive way. You'll do a good job of helping her to do that, I am sure.

Kaylyn said...

I feel ya Al. Grace sees how important animal advocacy is to me and so she tries very hard to make it a part of her life as well. I suppose deep down we all want to please our mothers! But yes...I don't want her to feel the constant sadness of seeing others have little or no regard for the things she loves so much.

In the end....I think it is still the right thing. At least I hope.

Al said...

Hey Mindy, according to my stats you were my 1,000th comment. So ... congratulations! I guess?

Anonymous said...

Aw, how sweet that she wanted to help the cat. I'm sure her view of the reality of being able to help animals when she grows up will mature as well. My daughter goes so far as to feel sad when PLANTS are hurt. Oh wait, that's a step up from when she was crying her eyes out because we left a grocery cart and she was afraid it was going to be lonely. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about :)