Here's a lovely little survey that started over at Food Snobbery is My Hobbery and is already making the rounds on the vegan blog circuit. Fun stuff.
1. If you have to choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
Local (but luckily, we split a Community Supported Agriculture share in the summer with some friends and that way we get local and organic.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
In curry with bok choy, carrots, and rice. Or fried with tofu, Gimmie Lean mock-sausage and peppers. I can't decide.
3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
Always, but not very throughly.
4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
Tater-tot hot dish! Easily veganized, believe it or not.
5. Any food allergies?
No. Thank genetics!
6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
The Ecopolitan in Minneapolis.
7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup ... and to be left alone in my misery.
8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)
Either out of the tap or the Britta pitcher.
9. Name a flavor of soda you'd love to see:
Chocolate peanut butter (I'm not saying I'd like to drink it, but I would like to see it).
10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
One Hundred and One Ways to Prepare Meat and Potatoes
11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can't grow in your climate, what would it be?
12. Favorite type of mushroom?
Portabella, but I'm not a huge shroom fan.
13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
Pots and pans! Pots and pans everywhere! So, the fact that it's impossible to be organized given our cabinet set-up, I guess.
14. Last food you burned?
A-J Mish-Mash (recipe to appear in an upcoming blog post)
15. Usual response to a veg*n's favorite question, "But where do you get your protein?"
There is protein in almost every food. I'm getting enough. Most Americans get too much (hello osteoporosis!).
16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
Chocolate mint with caramel and vegan Heath bar shreds on top.
17. Favorite brand of chocolate chips?
Whatever Mississippi Market sells in bulk.
18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma- What do you buy?
New knives and/or a cast iron frying pan.
19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
Depends. We try to keep a grocery list that includes ingredients for a few favorites and maybe a couple new dishes out of cookbooks. Mostly though, I just decide while I'm at the store and go crazy with buying waaaay more than what's on my list.
20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you're starving- What do you eat?
Chips. Probably bring a LUNA bar with me on the way out. (I don't care that LUNA bars are marketed as "The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women". I'm secure in my manhood. Also, I just found this on the LUNA website: "Men too can enjoy LUNA bars! There is nothing in a LUNA bar that is not good for men. However, LUNA bars are specifically formulated to provide women with the nutrients that are often harder for them to get." So take that, voice in my head!!)
21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win and how?
The American people, because the three might be off the air for a couple weeks to recuperate.
22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
I don't eat oatmeal.
23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
24. Favorite late night snack?
Peanut butter on saltines.
25. Favorite springtime food?
I'm drawing a blank. Peas? Maybe fresh peas, straight out of the pod? Are those considered springtime food?
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
I don't read food magazines. Does Herbivore count? The title suggests it's about food, at least.
27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg's Aminos?
Tamari, though I don't have much experience with shoyu.
28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
Cabbage (though if prepared right, anything is edible).
29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long:
30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?